Founded in 1890, The Lorenz Corporation’s vibrancy belies its age. Founder E.S. Lorenz attained a reputation for being a driven, hardworking individual. At the age of twenty-three, he became president of Lebanon Valley College in Annville, Pennsylvania. When health issues ended his presidency in 1889, he turned to music composition as a part of his recuperation, compiling a hymnal for the United Brethren Publishing House in Dayton. Soon after, E.S. established the Lorenz Publishing Company, producing music for the small, untrained church choir.
In 1898, E.S. Lorenz established the company’s first subscription magazine. The Organist provided a variety of music in different styles and difficulties for church organists. The magazine became the foundation upon which E.S. built what is now The Lorenz Corporation. With a more focused mission, The Organist is still in publication today along with The Organ Portfolio (launched in 1937) and The Sacred Organ Journal (launched in 1962), bringing intermediate, moderately easy, and moderately advanced music directly to the doors of church musicians.